Tuesday 1 May 2007

The Birds is coming!

I always thought it should have been The Birds ARE coming! I guess Hitchcock knew better. My latest obsession (if you could call it that) you have to go back to 1963. That year saw the release of Alfred Hitchcock's, The Birds. While at Universal Studios I was eager to photograph any location from any movie I'd seen. Naturally, I had The Birds, in mind. I had no idea if the sets were still standing. One of the scenes is where Melaine Daniels (Tippi Hedren) arrives at Bodega Bay and asks directions to the Brenner home. Later in the movie, poor Melanie gets trapped in a phone booth while the birds are attacking. It wasn't until tonight that I discovered, I did indeed take a photograph of the location. And it thrilled me no end. Yes, a tad geeky, but I don't care. I'm really happy the Universal lot still has buildings that have survived all these years. It's in a pretty generic area - so it can be used for countless different movies and TV series. But it will always be Bodega Bay for me. The photo would have been taken where the infamous phone booth would have been...just outside The Tides restaurant facade (which is also no longer there.)

No comments: